Chiles Rellenos – These are essentially long green chili peppers stuffed with cheese, battered and fried in a little oil until browned. Serve as is or in a pool of Larry’s Southwestern Chipotle Sauce.
Eight canned long green chili peppers
Eight chunks of Monterrey Jack or cheddar cheese, approx 1/4" by 1/4 " by two inches.
1/2 unbleached wheat flour or fine corn flour
Four fresh eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup Larry's Southwestern Chipotle Sauce or your favorite chipotle enchilada sauce
1. Place the green chilies on a cutting board. Make one slit lengthwise in the side of the pepper and clean out the seeds.
2. Place a piece of Monterrey Jack cheese into the pepper and close the pepper.
3. Dredge the stuffed pepper in flour and set aside.
4. Separate the eggs and the yolks from four fresh eggs. Whip the whites until firm and stir the yolks until blended. Stir the yolks into the whites.
5. Heat ½ cup vegetable soil in a large skillet until hot but not burning. (350’) Dip the dredged stuffed peppers into the egg mixture and lay them into the hot oil. Brown on one side, turn them over and brown on the other. Repeat until all the stuffed peppers are cooked.
6. Serve them as is or lay them in a pool of heated Larry’s Southwestern Chipotle Sauce.